“Hi! I love you blog! It's gone a long way towards getting me pumped up and inspired to get back in shape. I had a question, though. Do you have any tips for relative newbies to fitness? I did ballet most of my life, but I find I'm utterly overwhelmed when faced with going to the gym/working with machines/figuring out exercises to do, so I just end up running. Any easy to do (and remember!) tips?”
I totally understand the deer-in-the-headlights feeling of being at the gym. Here’s what I would suggest:
- A lot of gym equipment will have a sticker on it with precautions and how to use the machine. Take a look and see if they have one.
- Take a more fitness-savvy friend along and watch what they do.
- See if the gym has trial periods with a trainer. They can help you figure out a plan that is right for you.
- Type in “how to use gym equipment” on YouTube and you’ll find videos of people demonstrating a number of exercises using the machines.
- Stretch, warm-up, etc. in a place where you can keep an eye on the machines. Watch what other people are doing, but be aware that not everyone has good form.
- Try a few things. Just sit down, put on a low weight, and see how the exercise feels in your body.